Explore through PAINTING in this magical, fun, historical city of Amsterdam. We will spend each morning by getting our hands dirty by CREATING with a guided ADVENTURE at Atelier Molenpad – our historic studio located in the heart of Amsterdam. Then, in the afternoon – create your own adventure, and explore culture and life in Amsterdam! There are endless possibilities as our studio is situated with lots of cafes, museums, clubs and parks in every direction!
Join us for an unforgettable week, and increase confidence through the drawing and painting. Strengthen your contact with your creative MUSE! Transform while having fun! Quench your THIRSTY HANDS !
There will be a total of 8 guided sessions (3 hour time blocks) throughout the week, and 2 open sessions in the afternoons to practice in our spacious studio or in the historic streets of Amsterdam. (Note: Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn retreats have slightly different schedules.) Each retreat is slightly different, and we have additional exercises for participants enrolled in multiple retreats, so that you can keep on learning and exploring your creative process in this safe space!
Monday- Friday Morning Schedule: 10:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Rituals that awaken the creative energy (charcoal, clay)
- Making your own paints (tempera- egg yolk, water soluble oil paint, casein paint and acrylics)
- Expressive painting, from color to form
- Intuitive Visualization in color
- Dialoguing with your painting to receive messages.
- Layering, photo collage & medium techniques
Tuesday & Thursday- Afternoon Schedule: 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm (there is time here to have lunch together)
- Expressive Inspiration from the figure (with live model)
- Inspiration from the streets and/or nature in Amsterdam see video example here: http://www.ateliermolenpad.com/art-expression-in-nature/
Monday, Wednesday & Friday Afternoon Open Studio Schedule 1:00pm-6:00 pm:
Create your own adventure during our open studio and/or around Amsterdam. Ideas include:
- Continue to practice drawing and painting in studio
- Reflect,meditate and sketch on the lawn at nearby Vondelpark
- Gaining inspiration from historical museums (a museum card can be purchased) Art Galleries, Pampering body treatments (massage, acupuncture, sensory deprivation tanks- by personal appointment) Leisurely strolls around boutiques in the Jordaan area near the studio.
- Van Gogh Museum
- The newly opened Rijksmuseum (Rembrandt, Vermeer)
- Stedelijk Museum (Modern Art)
- Anne Frank House
- Food and sweets around town
- Boat excursions on the canals
- Bicycle tours of town
- Visiting sites outside of Amsterdam
Saturday morning we will close the retreat together 10:00am-12:00 am:
See Retreat page on this site for price info.
All art materials for the first day are included. Afterwards, materials may be purchased at art supply stores nearby. Fees for external activities, such as museums, excursions etc. . . are additional to course fee. Individual classes will be given by Daniella Rubinovitz with possible guest docents.
Accommodations: Self-arranged. However, if you’re visiting from out of town, and/or looking for a roommate, we can help to match up participants for housing. Contact us for more information. The studio is centrally located, at Molenpad 17D, 1016GL Amsterdam (corner of Prinsengracht and Molenpad). Here is a list of recommended places to look:
- Online hotel booking site Booking.com
- Airbnb apartments to rent
- Friendly Rentals apartments
- Hans Brinker Budget Hotel
There will be lots of time for you to nurture and connect deeply to your self. The studio setting is all wooden, carrying with it a superb energy for balance within your soul. Gain insights by allowing your subconscious to visually emerge out of your consciousness.